Museum work
The aim of the Karvia museum activity is to preserve the Karvia local tradition by maintaining the local museum.
and the open-air museum area. The local history archive will be supplemented as necessary on the ground floor of the municipal building. For those who are about to be destroyed
Conservation services for the objects are purchased within the budget.
The museum does not have appropriate storage facilities for objects donated by local residents.
Karvia Local History Museum
Next to Karvia Church stands a loan warehouse, which now serves as a local history museum. Next to the church pediment
A log barn was built. It served as a storage facility for grain collected for the underprivileged until the early 1900th century.
A sturdy roof and double walls were built to protect against thieves.
The idea for our own museum arose when numerous collectors wandered around Karvia looking for old objects.
On July 11, 1956, it was decided to investigate by school district what old objects remained in the school grounds. Retrieving objects
was given to Eino Saari. During the winter, he collected the items with Sulo Järvinen in his truck.
upstairs of the warehouse. The collectors checked the attics of the houses. At that time, hundreds of objects were found, the value of which
The people in the house had no knowledge of museum objects.
The warehouse's three floors were organized into exhibition spaces by volunteers, and the opening ceremony was held on July 21, 1957.
The museum's ground floor still displays wooden vessels, textiles, weapons and skis. Upstairs you can see, for example, the works of folk healers.
magic items, carpentry tools and various household items. The collection of old coins has been moved to the Karvia Town Hall
to better storage facilities where it can be viewed all year round.
There are over 1700 objects in total. Prehistoric Stone Age tools are the oldest in the collection. Historical period
The earliest objects probably date from the 1600th century, when permanent settlements began to emerge in the area.
- Karvia Museum catalogue 2007
The Karvia Local History Museum is open by appointment, for inquiries, please contact Youth Secretary Pinja Sivula, tel. 044 7727 513.
Free entry
Outdoor museum area
The outdoor museum area is located behind the church on the old market square. The former church stables, smokehouse,
a two-part barn, or puorirati, a forge, a shack, Lehtinen's hut and a fire cabin.
You can visit the museum area to view old buildings without opening hours.
Eino Saari
An important Karvia native was the foreman Eino Sari (1896 – 1983), who did valuable work in preserving the tradition.
In addition to Karvia, he also worked elsewhere in Satakunta and Ostrobothnia, where he carried out his real life work as a district foreman.
Eino Saari was a violinist. He wrote down almost 600 folk tunes, of which over a hundred were song tunes. He
published a work called "The Best of Pelimanns" containing 129 instrumental melodies.
Saari worked as a museum project worker in the 1950s. His extensive and significant volunteer work was recognized: He was awarded
Antti Lizenius Medal and the Kalevala Society's Kekri Day Award for science, art and cultural policy, as well as for public
about folding and recording tradition.
The Finnish Pelimann Association remembered Eino Saar with the title of Oltermanni. He was granted a state artist's pension.
At the Kaustinen Folk Music Festival, Saari received the Folk Music Festival medal.
In his old age, Eino Saari published a book about his homeland, "The Former Karvia", in 1977. The book was published by Karvia
a local association that also sells books today. Karvia Local Association, the link will open in a new page.
Kyrö-Skantz
The colorful history of the place dates back to the 1500th century, when Marshal Klaus Fleming arrived with his horsemen and
began to build a mill on the orders of King Sigismund along the old textile road, Kyrönkankaantie.
In the summer, the road served as the only connection between Finland and Ostrobothnia. Finland meant Southwest Finland,
which was in Swedish possession. There are still place names in Karvia that remind us of this: Suomijärvi, Suomikoski and Suomilammi.
The fortress was built against the peasants of Ostrobothnia, as they were feared to revolt from the south. At the point where the road crosses
river, had trenches and two cannon batteries with earthen ramparts built by Fleming in 1597. Few people know that Karvia
The 5-pointed design on the coat of arms represents the base design of a cannon battery.
In the 1630s, the government tasked Major Yrjö Juhonpoika Svinhufvud with establishing a base at this uninhabited site.
to the wilderness, the so-called Hämeenmetsä, for the capture of military deserters. The Swedes needed Finns to fight in Germany
(30 Years' War). After the war ended, Skantzi was presumably in a state of decline. In 1656, Arvid Mikonpoika Timi and his troops arrived there.
The operation ended in 1660, when Skantzi was converted into a quartermaster's horse house and the soldiers left. When the Finnish army
In the winter of 1808, the Russians retreated north, their troops bypassing Karvia from both sides, but in the summer the Russians stayed
In Kyrö-Skantz. In July, the Skantzi ship was empty of Russians when peasants tried to rob the Russian loading bay,
who was transporting goods looted from Vaasa.
Kyrö-Skantz is located 8 km from the center of Karvia in the direction of the Honkajoki River. The original buildings were destroyed in a fire.
Only the Mäki-Kanti barn from 1769 remains on site.
Karvia Local Area Association
The local community association cherishes local traditions by organizing events, recording material and publishing books.
Every year, the association names an honorary citizen of Karvia, Krupulauku.
The association has published, among others, the following books: Ryssäkesä, Eino Saari: Former Karvia, New Koto-Karvia books I and II, Time aikaa kutaki,
Eino Saari: The Best of the Game Players, revised edition, As an Orphan Boy in Siberia and Elsewhere in Soviet Russia, written by Eino Puhilas,
The work has been translated into Finnish by Rauni Virtanen.